Thursday, August 20, 2009

my grandma, my hero











Coop and I have been cleaning out the attic when we found my Grandma's suitcase. Within it contains her first nurses uniform. My Grandma really is my hero. She married my Grandfather when she was in her teens and by the age of 40 had given birth to 10 children (My Mom being the oldest). My Grandfather died at a very young age and there were still 5 kids at home. My Grandma didn't graduate from high school but with her new situation things had to change. She took the pre-test for a GED and passed it with flying colors, she got her GED without having to take classes and take another test. Grandma went on to nursing school and became a nurse in her 40's. She retired in her 70's. My Mom had recently bumped into two nurses with whom my Grandma worked at a local nursing home. These ladies went on and on to Mom about how my Grandma was the best nurse they ever had and how hard working she was. My Grandma was older than many of the people she took care of and could rings around women more than half her age. My Grandma is now 87 and showing no signs of slowing down. She'll always be my greatest inspiration and no one will ever replace her as my hero.




(My telling of my Grandma's story really does her no justice--but it's a story that deserves to be told none-the-less).




Photos of some of my favorite little treasures in my Grandma's suitcase. By the way, I actually remember those shoes and always wanted to touch them. Today I was finally able to do it!

No comments: